What is Karate?
The history page gives a brief explanation of karate in general, and the history of Shotokan karate.
Who are the Kaizen instructors?
The instructors page has a picture of the instructors, along with a brief list of their achievements over the years.
What are the training times?
The current training times are listed on the home page.
Where are the classes taught?
The address of the sports centre is listed on the home page.
How much does it cost?
Contact club instructor for cost of training.
Are there any rules I need to follow?
The Kaizen Dojo rules are:
- Bow on entering and leaving the Dojo.
- Address any instructor as “Sensei” whilst in the Dojo.
- “oss” is a sign of respect and is used generally in Karate, especially in the following situations:
- Upon receiving any advice or command from an instructor, the student must reply “oss”.
- When bowing the student must say “oss”.
- No-one is to leave the class without first obtaining permission from the instructor.
- Any member arriving late must take a kneeling position at the front of the Dojo and await permission from th instructor before joining the class.
- On receiving permission bow and then join the class.
- Finger and toe nails must be kept clean and short.
- Gis must be kept clean and in good condition.
- Jewellery must not be worn during training. If you can’t get a ring off then tape must be wrapped around it.
- Apply for a license from the Karate Union of Great Britain (KUGB) via SKC not later than one month after being accepted into the Dojo.
- Apply for membership of Kaizen SKC not later than two months after being accepted into the Dojo.
What is the youngest age for a child to start training at Kaizen SKC?
The club insurance does not cover children under the age of 5, but our club policy dictates that we will not accept children under the age of 6.
What is the belt order between white and black belt?
Beginners should wear a white belt until they have passed their first grading. The minimum training time between coloured belt gradings is three months. After gaining 1st Kyu, six months of training must be completed before attempting a 1st Dan grading.
|6||Purple (1 white stripe)||4th Kyu|
|8||Brown (1 white stripe)||2nd Kyu|
|9||Brown (2 white stripes)||1st Kyu|
The same belt is worn for all subsequent Dan grades.
How long does it take to get a black belt?
Provided you train consistently and pass all gradings on the first attempt, you should be able to gain a black belt within 3 years.